Charles "Dick" Ford served as our pastor from 1953-1956. He was a student minister from the Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary. These photos were from a photo album that the church presented to Dick and JoAnn Ford on Christmas, 1954. Their daughter, Debbie Jones, graciously loaned these photos to us in January 2017.
Dick Ford was born to Charles Eaton and Gladys Richardson Ford on October 3, 1924 in Des Moines, Iowa. After the death of his mother when he was six, his sister, Marian, father and step-mother relocated to the outskirts of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. There he led a solitary life, pretending the corn stalks were soldiers that he could shoot down with his BB gun.
Dick wed his high school friend, JoAnn Harsha on July 20, 1944, while home on a seven day military leave. Prior to wedding JoAnn, he volunteered for parachute training at Fort Benning, Georgia. Dick was later assigned to the 542 Parachute Regiment as Staff Sgt. The unit moved to Camp McCall, North Carolina before being sent to Luzon, South Pacific to become part of the 11th Airborne Division, the first occupation forces to land at Atsugi Air Field, Japan. His eldest son, Richard Greg, was born while Dick was in Sendia, Japan.
After being discharged, they lived with a Quaker couple outside Annville, Pennsylvania where Dick attended Lebanon Valley College. Upon graduation, he completed O.C.S. at Fort Benning, Georgia. Assigned to 3rd Armored Division, Fort Knox, Kentucky, he completed for and was awarded a Regular Army Commission. In 1950 he was sent to Korea, where he volunteered to serve in the 187th Airborne RCT to requalify as a combat parachutist, assigned to "G" Company 2nd Battalion as a platoon leader. He was awarded the Silver Star for leading a Soyang River crossing in North Korea. Dick's unit was sent to Beppu, Kyushu, Japan where he served as adjutant under General William Westmoreland. His wife and son, Greg, joined him for one year at Camp Chickamauga.
Because of the Korean battle, he resigned his Regular commission to enter seminary in Louisville, Kentucky, where his second son, Douglas McClain, was born in 1953. He served as student pastor at Lexington, Indiana for 3 years.
Upon completing seminary, Dick and his wife and two sons relocated to Denver, Colorado where he and his wife served a church in north Denver for 14 years. Their daughter, Deborah Jo, was born shortly after their arrival in 1956.
In 1970, he was appointed Chaplain at Denver's Veteran's Hospital. He later became Chief of Chaplain until his retirement at the end of 1984. This was his most meaningful ministry; since he understood what it was like to be in battle.
During his ministry as Chief of Chaplains at the V.A. Hospital, Dick was quoted as saying, "My role in this hospital is not specifically to persuade people to accept religious beliefs. My job is basically to reinforce and support people in a time of crisis in their lives."
In 1981, Dick was the one employee in direct patient care who received the honored annual Hands and Heart Award for "consistent excellence in providing emotional support and spiritual guidance to hospitalized veterans and their families."
Dick returned to visit Lexington Presbyterian Church in December, 1987.
Dick passed away on May 12, 1993 and was buried in the Fort Logan National Cemetery in Denver, Colorado. His wife JoAnn, passed away on December 24, 2010 and was buried by his side. Although his tenure with us was a brief 3 years, it is easy to see from these treasured photographs of a young man and his growing family living in an unfamiliar area and changing times were dedicated to carry on the Word of the Lord and continue to minister to those old and young alike. The Ford Family helped to continue a legacy of faithful Presbyterians that has lasted two centuries in Lexington. We are forever indebted to them and their service.
Ford Family - July 1954
Greg, Doug, JoAnn, Dick Ford
Doug and Dick Ford - October, 1954
Lexington Presbyterian Church
Dick's first church Lexington, Ind June 1953
Manse Summer 1953
Our first Manse Lexington, Ind. June 1953
Jo and Greg Lexington Manse June 1953
Manse - July 1954
Greg & JoAnn Ford and Freida & Frank Hounshell August 1953
August '53 Lexington
Back of JoAnn with Branham family - August '53
Freida & Frank Hounshell our new cocker Honey with their dog Jack - August '53
Greg Ford with Dale Renschler June 1953
Greg Ford and Leon Robbins
Greg and new bike - Xmas Day 1953 in Lexington school yard
Christmas 1953 - Greg with Branham's store at left
Lexington church Winter '54
Manse - Winter '54
School house taken in front of Branham's store - Winter '53
Service Band picnic
JoAnn Ford (30 yrs old) holding Doug - Picnic with Service Band elder ladies and Betty Brown
Manse Mortgage burning ceremony in the basement on Labor Day, September 6, 1954
Members identified by numbers:
1. Clarence Robbins 2. Leon Robbins 3. Maude Bridgewater 4. Elizabeth Robinson 5. Tom Jones 6. Gregory Ford 7. Terry Jones 8. Beth Branham 9. Sherry Fouts 10. Branham 11. Corbin Fouts 12. Della Lowry 13. Ruth Lowry 14. Edith Fouts & Ricky Fouts 15. Prudence Robbins 16. Ethel Robbins 17. Blanche Fortune 18. Bill Branham 19. Anna Middleton 20. Helen Hall 21. Ethel Perrine 22. Irving Middleton 23. Jimmy LaMaster 24. Betty Brown 25. June Robinson 26. Cynthia LaMaster
Branham children Lexington, Ind. April, 1955
JoAnn teaching the Bible - August 1955
JoAnn & Dick Greg and Doug - Summer 1955
February 1956 - Jennings Farm
Sept. '54 Jim, Jane, John, and Marie Huff
Arlene, Bobby, and Marlene Bright
Arlene and Marlene Bright
Agnes & Bobby Bright
Bible School Class of '52 - Mary Francis McAlister, Phyllis Robbins, Kenton Robbins, Jaunita Reese, Barbra Moore, Betty Brown, Jim Hall, Jimmie Kleopfer
Church ball team of 1954 - won trophy of Todd-Dickey Parish
Mary Wilson and her class '54
Mary Wilson's S.S. Class '54 Front row: Betty, Barbra, Gwen, Gail, Sue, Juanita. Second row: Terry Barnes, Jimmy, Ronnie, Silas, Dale
Mrs. Erma Hutsell June 1, 1956
Cecil & Bertha Hall
Phyllis & Shirley
Porter & Mary Catherine Wilson
Ruth & Horace F. Sharp taken at their home in Sellersburg, Ind.
Mom & Dad Sharp
Left to right: Toni Dean, Brenda Dean, Sheila Dean, Delores Sharp, Loretta Sharp
Loretta & Delores Sharp
Sheila & Toni
Clarence Robbins with grandchildren Karen Elaine and Kenton
Ernest "Mutt", Grace, Margaret, Patricia, and Phyllis Robbins
Ethel Robbins with nieces Patricia and Margaret Robbins
Clarence Robbins with grandchildren Leon, Karen Elaine, and Kenton Robbins
Phyllis & Margaret Robbins
Prudence Robbins with grandson Leon Robbins
Margaret Whitlatch and children
Coach Robinson's girls and Greg Ford - Winter 1953
Alice and boys
Elbridge & Carl Richard
Lowell and Margaret Whitlatch's children: Carol, Keith, and Carl
James, Barbra Dee & Mae Hutsell
Ella and Willie Jennings - 1961
Mae, Helen, Frank, Charles and James Wilson
Ella & Willie Jennings
Johnie & Judy
Ohio River at Hanover College
Mrs. Ethel Perrine
Mary & John
Blanche Fortune and Bess Noakes (sisters)
Robert, Gary, and Jimmie Kleopfer
Willie Fortune & Betty
Harold Brown & Betty
Margaret & Hardy Kimberlin
Blanch & Mitt - our Sunday School Superintendent
Marvin and Barbra Moore
The home at the top of the hill
Mrs. Florence Miller
Sharon and Betty
Mrs. DeArmand and Stevie
Mitt watching a ballgame
Mitt, Bess, Merrill, Henrietta, and girls
Bess and granddaughters
Bess & Mitt Noakes
Bess and Mitt Noaks
Bess and Mitt Noakes - Christmas 1960
Bess and Mitt Noakes with the LaMaster children
Mabel, Larry, and Dale Renschler in Virginia Beach, Virginia in 1953
Marie & Ronnie Renschler
Bonnie Renschler and Buddy Clapp with their dog Nero
Patsy and Phillip
Patsy Taftlinger Berry Rhonda and Tom - 1967
Mr. and Mrs. Charles McNeely
Ralph and Gladys Robinson and Elizabeth and June
Mrs. Florence Miller
Joann & Dick Ford with Doug after a service
Louise Branham on left - Evening Circle
Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hall, Sr.
Frank and Dorothy Hall with Jimmy and Ronnie
Mrs. Kate Wilson, Willard Middleton, Walter Middleton, Emma Bansmer, Irving Middleton
Irving and Estele Middleton - May 8, 1955 (Irving was ordained an Elder in 1920)
Nora Hollenbeck Apartments
This building stood on the southeast corner of Main and Cherry Streets. This is where Joseph H. Shea, United States Ambassador to Chile, was born in 1862. The building was demolished apx. 1980 and is the current site of the Lexington Township Volunteer Fire Department.
Dale & Irving Garage
This picture was taken before the gymnasium was added in 1967 and the north wing was added in 1983-84.
This home stands north of the current Manse on Mulberry Street. It served as our first Manse from 1868-1952.
Lexington Presbyterian Church
This picture was taken before the Sunday School rooms were added to the west side of the building.
Lexington Christian Church
This church is still in service and stands at 2804 South Alexander Street.
On April 26, 1852, the following data was filed in the Scott County Recorder's Office: "This is to certify that notice, being given by posting notices in three places ten days previous, that an election would take place on the 17th of April, 1852 by the Christian Church to elect trustees for said church, it being in contemplation to purchase a lot of erect a meeting house. Accordingly, the said church met in Lexington on the 17th of April, 1852; after appointing J.H. Hardy Clerk, said election proceeded to elect three trustees whereupon Henry Hollenbeck, Albert G. Mace, and Clinton R. Hardy were elected on unanimous vote."
Two lots were purchased from I.N. White for the sum of $40.00. The design of the church was typical of that time. The cost of the building was approximately $2,000.00 which was met by the brethren without help from any other congregation.
Lexington Baptist Church
This church was built in 1898 on the northeast corner of Walnut and Mulberry Streets where the Ponder home is currently located. Columbus and Eliza Shields sold the land to the Lexington Baptist trustees, Martin Hart, Stephen Lowry, and Andrew J. Robbins for $400.00. Services did not last long and membership began to dwindle and members either transferred to Kimberlin Creek Baptist Church 3 1/2 miles west or chose to join the Presbyterian and Christian churches. The building was sold to Thomas Loftus and named the Mary Anderson Theater and showed movies beginning June 9, 1917. It was also used for Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and Eighth grade classes during the 1921-1922 school years while the new school building was being built. In 1927, electricity was run to Lexington. A few days after electricity was hooked up to the building, it burned down on the night of May 11, 1927 after the showing of a movie.
Mother of God Catholic Church
This church stood on the northeast corner of Cherry and Walnut Streets where the current Post Office is located. The cornerstone was laid on August 5, 1892 by the Reverend Frank A. Roell, vicar of St. Mary's Church of New Albany. Total cost of the building was $3,000.00 and in February of 1893 the first mass was celebrated with the dedication taking place on Sunday, May 28, 1893. The church closed in 1937 and merged with the American Martyrs Catholic Church in Scottsburg. It was later used as a feed store and then was demolished in October of 1968 for the building of the present Post Office.
Lexington Methodist Church
This church stood on the southwest corner of Alexander and Walnut Streets with the front doors facing Alexander Street. The earliest definite record of Methodist work in Lexington is found in the Recorder's Office in Book J, page 102, where James V. White, Willis L. Traylor, Alfred Amick, Reese Morgan, and James H. Phillips were appointed trustees to hold property for the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1845. Services were held until it was sold in July, 1913 when it merged with Pleasant Ridge Methodist Church. The building was used as a community center before it was demolished in about 1917.
Todd-Dickey Rural Training Parish churches in 1946
Owen Creek, Mt. Lebanon, and Bethlehem Presbyterian Churches of the Todd-Dickey Parish in 1946
Frank's Place and Anna's garage
These buildings stood on the south side of the Square on Main Street.
Clift's Grocery Store and home
This building stood on the south side of the Square on Main Street. It burned down on January 15, 1969.
Ray Robinson's home
This house stood on the northwest corner of Walnut and Mulberry Streets.
Emma Hutsell and Hardy Kimberlin homes
These house still stand today on the north side of the Square on Walnut Street.
Earl Milles' home and barber shop on Walnut Street on the northeast corner of the Square
Businesses on Cherry Street on the east side of the Square
Businesses on Cherry Street on the east side of the Square
Santiago's grave at Englishton Park
Santiago was a horse owned by Captain William E. English that served him in the Spanish-American War. During a charge on San Juan Hill, it is said that Captain English was riding near Theodore Roosevelt when a cannonball exploded injuring Santiago. Captain English had Santiago sent back to Englishton Park where he lived out the rest of his life.
Ella Frances home at Englishton Park
Lily and Goldfish Pond at Englishton Park
Sundial at Englishton Park
Summer Sunday School class
Sunday night group
Cheri and Doug Ford
Frank Hounshell - August 1955
Branham children: Cherie, Jane, Jack, Bill, and Beth
Branham children: Beth, Jan, Cheri, Bill, and Jack
Connie and Sherry Fouts
Rick, Corbin, Sherry, and Connie Fouts
Lance Hounshell - son of Frank and Freida Hounshell
Mrs. Florence Miller
Dr. Hannah - Moderator in 1956
Dr. Ralph Parvine - Moderator
Dick Ford - 1987
Dick Ford and his son, Doug, returned to visit Lexington in 1987.